Boston Auto Accident Lawyers
At Bellotti Law Group, P.C., we use the skills and knowledge gained through decades of protecting injured clients to create a powerful case for you. Attorney Peter Bellotti instill a culture of legal excellence at our firm, carrying on the tradition of client-centered representation that made the Bellotti name synonymous with legal success in the Boston area. Our innovative litigation techniques have led to many favorable settlements and verdicts for our clients, allowing them to hold negligent parties accountable while moving towards as full a recovery as possible.
According to the most recent statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) there were 2,189,000 car crashes reported in 2014. In other words approximately 90 people die each day in a motor vehicle accident and more than 6000 people are seriously injured. Massachusetts accounts for approximately 108,379 of the national number. Every year in Massachusetts there are over 300 fatal accidents and nearly 5000 serious injuries due to car accidents. Because car accidents are such a daily occurrences in the U.S. drivers should know how to avoid accidents and what to do if they should find themselves in a car crash.Critical Factors in Car Accidents
Each year there are more than 2 million car crashes- of those the critical reason in 94% of cases was assigned to the driver. Driver related critical factors are broadly classified into four main divisions:
- recognition errors - such as playing with electronic devices - account for 41% of accidents,
- decision errors - such as speeding and falsely assuming other drivers’ actions - account for 33% of accidents,
- performance errors - such as overcompensation - accounts for 11% of accidents, and
- non-performance errors - such as falling asleep at the wheel - accounts for 7% of accidents.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) stated that in 2014 the leading cause of death in 16-24 year olds were motor vehicle accidents. The top driver behaviors that caused fatal car crashes were speeding- where nearly half of people speeding were also above the legal alcohol limit, drunk driving, running red lights, fatigue, and distracted driving- which includes more often than not- cell phone use.The Costs of Car Accidents in the U.S.
According to NHTSA car accidents cost Americans more than $277 billion annually. That number includes medical, lost productivity, legal, EMS services, insurance administration, and property damage. When you factor in quality of life valuation the yearly total goes up by $594 billion. With car accidents as a daily occurrence drivers should know how to protect themselves before and after a car accident.Protect Yourself Before and After a Car Accident BEFORE:
- Get and maintain proper insurance coverage
- Always keep proof of insurance and your registration in your glove compartment box
- Be sure to have your driver’s license with you whenever you drive
- Keep a first aid kit in your car in case you or someone else is injured in a car accident
- Stop and move to a safe location to access damages and check for injuries
- Call the police. Never assume the other driver is calling. Call even if the accident is minor an officer can give an impartial analysis of the accident which is helpful if and when the other driver wants to blame you
- Exchange information with the other driver, make sure to get: registration information (including make and model of the car and VIN), insurance information, phone number and address of the other driver and any passengers also involved
- Take photos of the scene of the accident as well as pictures of all vehicles involved in the accident
- Promptly seek medical care for any injuries.
- Seek legal advice. Many times the other insurance company (and occasionally your insurance company) will reach out and try to settle a claim for a minimum payment. Don’t try to settle the case alone, instead find a lawyer who can advocate for you with your best interests in mind.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please call us at 617-225-2100 to speak with the experienced Boston car accident attorneys at Bellotti Law Group, P.C. today.Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents occur in many ways,
- Rollover car accidents
- Rear-end car accidents
- Hit-and-run car accidents
- Head-on collision car accidents
- Side-impact (t-bone and broadside) car accidents
- Back-over car accidents
…can involve more than just motor vehicles,
…happen for many different reasons,
- Distracted driving (talking on cell, smart phone use) car accidents
- Texting while driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way car accidents
- Teen driver car accidents
- Speeding car accidents
- Taxi cab car accidents
- Drunk driving car accidents
- Unsecured truck load car accidents
…occur in a variety of locations,
- Mass Pike, Rte. 128, I-93 and I-95 car accidents
- Construction zone accidents
- Construction site car accidents
- Parking lot and parking garage car accidents
…and often involve complex topics such as:
- Uninsured motorist car accidents
- Underinsured motorist car accidents
- Dram shop liability
- Social host liability
We are conveniently located in Boston, Cambridge and Quincy. Contact us today for a free legal consultation at 617-225-2100.