Boston Auto Accident Lawyers
At Bellotti Law Group, P.C., we use the skills and knowledge gained through decades of protecting injured clients to create a powerful case for you. Attorney Peter Bellotti instill a culture of legal excellence at our firm, carrying on the tradition of client-centered representation that made the Bellotti name synonymous with legal success in the Boston area. Our innovative litigation techniques have led to many favorable settlements and verdicts for our clients, allowing them to hold negligent parties accountable while moving towards as full a recovery as possible.
According to the most recent statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) there were 2,189,000 car crashes reported in 2014. In other words approximately 90 people die each day in a motor vehicle accident and more than 6000 people are seriously injured. Massachusetts accounts for approximately 108,379 of the national number. Every year in Massachusetts there are over 300 fatal accidents and nearly 5000 serious injuries due to car accidents. Because car accidents are such a daily occurrences in the U.S. drivers should know how to avoid accidents and what to do if they should find themselves in a car crash.Critical Factors in Accidents
Each year there are more than 2 million car crashes- of those the critical reason in 94% of cases was assigned to the driver. Driver related critical factors are broadly classified into four main divisions:
- recognition errors - such as playing with electronic devices - account for 41% of accidents,
- decision errors - such as speeding and falsely assuming other drivers’ actions - account for 33% of accidents,
- performance errors - such as overcompensation - accounts for 11% of accidents, and
- non-performance errors - such as falling asleep at the wheel - accounts for 7% of accidents.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) stated that in 2014 the leading cause of death in 16-24 year olds were motor vehicle accidents. The top driver behaviors that caused fatal car crashes were speeding- where nearly half of people speeding were also above the legal alcohol limit, drunk driving, running red lights, fatigue, and distracted driving- which includes more often than not- cell phone use.The Costs of Car Accidents in the U.S.
According to NHTSA car accidents cost Americans more than $277 billion annually. That number includes medical, lost productivity, legal, EMS services, insurance administration, and property damage. When you factor in quality of life valuation the yearly total goes up by $594 billion. With car accidents as a daily occurrence drivers should know how to protect themselves before and after a car accident.Protect Yourself Before and After a Car Accident
- Get and maintain proper insurance coverage
- Always keep proof of insurance and your registration in your glove compartment box
- Be sure to have your driver’s license with you whenever you drive
- Keep a first aid kit in yourcar in case you or someone else is injured in a car accident
- Stop and move to a safe location to access damages and check for injuries
- Call the police. Never assume the other driver is calling. Call even if theaccident is minor an officer can give an impartial analysis of the accident which is helpful if and when the other driver wants to blame you
- Exchange information with the other driver, make sure to get: registration information (including make and model of the car and VIN), insurance information, phone number and address of the other driver and any passengers also involved
- Take photos of the scene of the accident as well as pictures of all vehicles involved in the accident
- Promptly seek medical care for any injuries.
- Seek legal advice. Many times the other insurance company (and occasionally your insurance company) will reach out and try to settle a claim for a minimum payment. Don’t try to settle the case alone, instead find a lawyer who can advocate for you with your best interests in mind.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please call us at 617-225-2100 to speak with the experienced Boston car accident attorneys at Bellotti Law Group, P.C. today.Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents occur in many ways,
- Rollovercar accidents
- Rear-endcar accidents
- Hit-and-runcar accidents
- Head-on collisioncar accidents
- Side-impact (t-bone and broadside)car accidents
- Back-overcar accidents
…can involve more than just motor vehicles,
…happen for many different reasons,
- Distracted driving (talking on cell, smart phone use)car accidents
- Texting while driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-waycar accidents
- Teen drivercar accidents
- Speedingcar accidents
- Taxi cabcar accidents
- Drunk drivingcar accidents
- Unsecured truck loadcar accidents
…occur in a variety of locations,
- Mass Pike, Rte. 128, I-93 and I-95car accidents
- Construction zone accidents
- Construction sitecar accidents
- Parking lot and parking garagecar accidents
…and often involve complex topics such as:
- Uninsured motoristcar accidents
- Underinsured motoristcar accidents
- Dram shop liability
- Social host liability
Our Boston car accident lawyer will help you understand that there are many aspects of an accident that are taken into consideration when you are seeking to find compensation for property damage or hospital expenses. This covers car damage or valuables inside your vehicle, immediate medical bills for your injuries, future medical costs if you have to follow up on your injuries, future physical therapy sessions if necessary, a substitute for income you missed when you were injured, and a sum for both your pain and trauma. Not all of these will apply to all cases, but it's a great foundation to consider how much you'll be looking for with the support of a car accident attorney. Don't let your car accident claim fall by the wayside!
The other important point to remember here is that, since Massachusetts is a comparative negligence jurisdiction, this suggests that the negligence of the parties to an accident is compared when determining liability. A client that is partially at fault can still recover damage (but not more than 50 percent at fault), but the percentage of fault would reduce their damage.
For example, if a client is found to be 20 percent at fault at trial they may recover $100,000 judgment. The judgment will be decreased by their percentage of fault, or $20,000 in this case, and $80,000 will be received by the plaintiff. This reduction of damages is allowed by the judge, not the jury, since it is the jury's duty to actually determine the proportions of relative blame and the client's total damages. Again, if the jury finds the client more than 50 percent at fault, the client will not recover any damages. Our car accident lawyers understand Massachusetts car accident, pain and suffering; personal injury protection laws and will advise you on the strength of your case.How Long Does it Take to Settle my Case or Will I File a Lawsuit?
As a general rule, you have three years from the date of your car crash to either settle your case or file a claim in court to begin the legal process (because every rule has exceptions). You lose the legal right, in most cases, to pursue the person who was at fault for the accident that caused the injury and damages if you neglect to do so before this three-year deadline (which is called the Statute of Limitations).Why Choose Us?
Boston car crashes can be dangerous. Our Boston car accident lawyers at Bellotti Law Group P.C. regularly represent people who have been involved in car accidents and families who have lost loved ones on highways and roads. We know that injuries from auto accidents can in so many ways affect lives. A MA car accident can both physically and emotionally impact you. In no time costs add up and your insurance company may refuse to pay the bills. Confusion and dissatisfaction can be caused by insurance providers concerning auto insurance coverage.
Massachusetts accidents can happen at any time because of someone else's incompetence, recklessness, or negligence. When so much is at stake, having an experienced auto accident lawyer who knows the laws and who is familiar with the insurance firms' methods is important. Your Boston car accident attorneys are available to bring your life back to normal.
Our MA car accident lawyers at the firm will examine the causes and factors that contribute to responsibility in incidents, so that you can be completely prepared to manage it when the insurance firms contact you. To ensure that all your concerns are met efficiently and properly, we will collaborate with insurance providers and other parties involved in your case. After a car crash, you don't need to be uncertain about what to do: place the Bellotti Law Firm car accident team on your side.
With millions of Americans depending on cars, vans, and bikes to get them where they need to go on a daily basis, cars are the most popular mode of transport in the Country. Sadly, vehicular collisions pose major threats to the health and safety of all those who may be involved. Even a relatively minor accident may potentially have repercussions that victims of an accident cannot be able to afford on their own which is why they need an accident lawyer for support against the driver's insurance company.
Car accidents can lead to anything from minor injuries to death in the worst cases. A Boston car accident lawyer must be hired since car accident victims have the right to receive compensation for their losses in all cases in which someone else was at fault. Like our Bellotti Law Group P.C. team we understand how important it can be to get this compensation, not to mention the sense of fairness that many people get from keeping the party responsible for the crash. A Massachusetts accident lawyer knows how devastating car crashes in Massachusetts can be.Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer
We are conveniently located in Boston, Cambridge and Quincy. Contact us today for a free legal consultation at 617-225-2100.